Saturday, February 4, 2012

Omaha Skyscraper

This is another concept I've been working on for some time.  If I make it big someday I'd love to help build another skyscraper in Omaha (we're kinda lacking).  Anyway, this concept was inspired by my two favorite buildings: the Wrigley Building in Chicago for the exterior and the Chrysler Building in New York for the spire.  I like the old art deco/Gothic revival style.  I'm not a big fan of the modernist and now the post modernist architecture that has come to dominate city skylines.  I think what Omaha really lacks is an old school gem of a skyscraper.  For some reason, we as Americans, and especially here in Nebraska like to tear down the old- Jobbers Canyon-and replace it with the new-TD Ameritrade Park-instead of preserving it-Old Market-which has proven that history & the accompanying charm hold economic and societal value.  I think our society doesn't care about our history relative to other cultures.  We prefer our sterilized generic present, instead of a rich tradition filled environment.  Currently, the First National Bank Tower is our primate edifice and it definitely harkens back to the past in its design, but we need an icon.  I think this rough rendering is a good place to start.  The goal is for the structure to have some of the charm and character of architecture past.  The tower would be approximately 630' high from the tip of the spire to the street.

The potential lot is currently a parking lot between Dodge & Capitol.


Downtown with new skyscraper on left.




More detailed model (Obviously Not Finished).

Exterior

Close Up of Exterior

View of Downtown from the southeast.

This is the view from TD Amertrade Park (North), this is what Omaha would look like on CWS broadcasts.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I have many of the same ideas you have, I have been developing ideas for the skyline of Omaha since I moved here a year ago. I would like to email you and maybe share ideas and visions. wwomck87@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete