Monday, September 10, 2012

College Football Fan Base Map

This is something I've been working on periodically over the last few months.  I browse 4chan's sport boards and a map depicting college football fan bases comes up quite frequently.  The map itself is internet famous yet is terribly inaccurate.  So, I've taken the liberty to update it.

My Updated College Football Fan Base Map


Here's what the Original looked like:

Original College Football Fan Base Map
As you can see, I made a lot of changes.  I'm from Nebraska so I already had a decent understanding of local college football fandom, especially in the Dakotas, which were neglected in the original map.  For other areas of the country, I had no clue where to start, so I needed a reference.  Luckily I was able to find a survey of college football fans' allegiance in map form.  That reference map is pictured below:

Reference Map
Now obviously this map is nothing to hang my hat on.  However, it gave me a starting point to work from.  I overrode the map when I had personal knowledge of peoples' fandom.  For instance, Iowa is not the majority fan-base in southeast South Dakota.  That area is primarily USD and Nebraska fans with the Sioux Falls market giving the most attention to South Dakota State relative to other football programs.  If you would like to help make the reference map more accurate, take 30 seconds of your time and fill out a fan survey.

No comments: